Capstone Project (Open Access)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
Health, Human Services and Public Policy
Collaborative Health and Human Services: Concentration Social Work
This paper analyzes, assesses, and introduces the importance of a “Needs Assessment” that can potentially record the effectiveness of the Victim Offender Reconciliation Program (VORP) practices with its youth offenders. VORP is a program within the purview of the Restorative Justice Partners, INC. organization. The functions of this program works closely with the probation department of Monterey County, along with various community partners; its practices are funneled through a restorative justice lens. Current data will show that 89% of youth offenders who have successfully completed the VORP program and are closed compliant do not reoffend, meanwhile the other 11% recidivates back into the Juvenile criminal justice system and may be seen again in the program, or worse. The needs assessment renders useful in exploiting areas of support being neglected by status quo. Although RJP’s vision and mission is tremendously effective there remains to be an unforeseen need amongst youth offenders. Implementation of the needs assessment will not only evince poor support systems in place, but also foster innovative methods for resolving immediate barriers post-program for youth offenders.
Galvan Jr., Marshal, "Restorative Justice Practices: Addressing the Eleven Percent" (2020). Capstone Projects and Master's Theses. 764.
Law Commons, Public Affairs, Public Policy and Public Administration Commons, Social Work Commons
This project was not implemented due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. All findings are based on research, and the recommendation is solely based on the future delivery and development of this project.