Capstone Project (Open Access)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
Health, Human Services and Public Policy
Collaborative Health and Human Services
The Silver Star Youth Program at Rancho Cielo Youth Campus works with at-risk youth ages 15 ½ to 18 to help them achieve a high school diploma. Unfortunately, many Silver Star participants lack the motivation to graduate high school and continue on to higher education or to pursue good jobs. Of the 25 students surveyed, 25% stated having some knowledge about college and future plans after graduation. The remaining 75% of students were unsure or undecided on their plans. This capstone project was designed to motivate these at-risk youth to post-secondary success. Two intern-led workshops provided students with information about higher education and alternative paths post-graduation. Some recommendations for the agency and future interns include trying to incorporate a career day to provide students with different perspectives from different professionals. As well, building relationships with students and staff, and most importantly to not being afraid to step out of their comfort zone.
Soto, Ximena, "Motivating Youth on Probation to Post-Secondary Success" (2022). Capstone Projects and Master's Theses. 1273.
Educational Assessment, Evaluation, and Research Commons, Higher Education Commons, Secondary Education Commons, Service Learning Commons